Freedom of Information requests

South East Water is required to respond to requests for access to documents made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

What documents can't I access?

Some documents are exempt from release, for example if they:

  • Contain trade secrets
  • Information provided to South East Water in confidence
  • Information provided to South East Water by a business
  • Internal working documents
  • May affect legal proceedings or are covered by legal professional privilege (e.g. legal advice)
  • Affect personal information about other people
  • Have been submitted to State Cabinet
You may be refused access to an entire document or you may be given access to a document with some information deleted.

What documents can I access?

  • Documents created by South East Water
  • Documents supplied to South East Water by a third party

Under the Freedom of information (FOI) Act you have the right to:

  • Request access to documents
  • Request that incorrect or misleading information that is held about you is amended or removed

Before you apply

Read about our documents in the below Part II Information Statement.

Make sure you:

Clearly describe the documents or types of documents you would like access to and advise whether you: 

  • want to inspect the documents at our offices
  • want the documents we release as hard copies
  • want the documents we release electronically
  • insist on complete documents or
  • are happy to receive documents with irrelevant or exempt material removed.

After a request has been made

If the request is not valid

If your request is not valid, South East Water will contact you within 21 days and let you know why it is not valid. We will try to provide assistance or advice on how you can make a valid request.

If we advise you that your request is not valid, we will give you at least 21 days to make it valid.

If you do not contact us to discuss how to make a valid request, or you have not made a valid request after 21 days, South East Water is not required to begin processing your request and may decide to finalise it.

If the request is valid

Once you make a valid request, South East Water will begin to process it.

South East Water has between 30 to 45 days from the date you make a valid request to provide you with a decision. The timeframe will depend on whether or not we need additional time to consult with third parties whose information may be contained in the requested documents. The timeframe can be extended beyond 30 to 45 days if you provide your consent.

If you do not receive a decision after 30 to 45 days, or a further period as agreed by you, you can contact us and ask for an update. There can be a number of reasons why the request has been delayed and we can discuss these with you.

Fees and charges

From 1 July 2019 an application fee in the sum of $29.60 will be payable with your request.  South East Water may waive the application fee due to hardship or you have a concession card. 

You can pay the application fees by personal or bank cheque made payable to South East Water Corporation.  Alternatively, you can pay by credit card.  Please contact us if you would like to pay by credit card.   

In addition to the application fee, Access charges (for searching, making copies of and preparing documents) may apply to your request. We apply those charges in accordance with the Freedom of Information legislation.

If we estimate access charges will be more than $50.00, we will advise you of our estimated access charges and request a deposit before we process the request.

If the charges are less than $50.00, we will let you know the payable charges when we send you our decision.​

Part II Information Statement

South East Water aims to extend as far as possible the right of the community to access information in our possession.

You can obtain information about South East Water in various ways including by searching our website or making a Freedom of Information Act request.

If you cannot locate the information you are looking for on our website you can contact us here to make an FOI request​.