At South East Water, we have an absolute commitment to achieving and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for our people, including our contractors and stakeholders – which is why we have launched and are embedding South East Water’s Living Safely Rules.
Living safely rules:
1. Trenching and excavation
We will manage all risks associated with trenching and excavation
- Eliminate where possible the need to excavate or enter excavations.
- Prevent entry to any excavation until it is assessed and verified as safe.
- Prior to excavation investigate ground conditions, verify any services and isolate them.
- Only enter excavations if we are trained and competent.
- Provide and maintain a safe access and egress to all excavations.
- Prevent unauthorised access and leave
2. Confined space entry
We will manage all risks associated with confined space
- Eliminate where possible the need to enter a confined space.
- Plan and document entry, exit and rescue.
- Only enter/open a confined space if we are trained and competent.
- Complete a South East Water asset entry permit for any confined space task.
- Have a minimum of three fully trained personnel for any confined space entry.
3. Working at heights or depths
We will always work at heights safely
- We will:
- Eliminate where possible the need to work at heights.
- Only work at heights if we are trained and competent.
- Not approach an edge, excavation, pit without fall protection in place.
- Ensure that all fall arrest, fall prevention barriers and other equipment used is approved and maintained.
4. Traffic management
We will protect ourselves, pedestrians and drivers by managing traffic at worksites
- Create safe access ways for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Have an approved Traffic Management Plan.
- Provide clear signage, signalling and delineation of roads and paths.
- Ensure that heavy vehicles have approved flashing beacons and reverse alarms.
- Provide workers and visitors with information on safe routes, parking areas, pedestrian exclusion zones and speed limits.
5. Mobile plant
We will be safe in and around mobile plant
- Obtain approval from the operator before approaching mobile equipment.
- Operate mobile plant only if we are trained.
- Inspect mobile plant daily to ensure it is safe to operate.
- Wear a seat belt, where available, when operating mobile plant.
- Operate mobile plant according to environmental and local conditions.
- Never use mobile plant and equipment outside the manufacturer's specification.
6. Electrical safety
We will ensure our personal safety and the safety of others when conducting any electrical works
- Identify all electrical and other services prior to any works.
- Isolate electrical equipment from all sources of supply (including neutral connections), test and discharge where necessary.
- Only conduct electrical work if we are trained, competent and hold appropriate licences.
- Establish safe working distances and exclusion zones when working with or near electricity.
- Presume all exposed electrical parts are energised until tested and proven otherwise.
- Use a spotter wherever a person, equipment or mobile plant might infringe the "No Go Zone" rules.
7. Isolation and tagging
We will always undertake isolations to separate people from sources of harm
- Identify all potential sources of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic energy before starting works.
- Only isolate and tag if we are trained and competent.
- Adhere to isolation and tagging procedures.
- Check and test isolations have been completed prior to commencing work;and test isolations have been completed prior to commencing work.
- Never remove a Personal Danger Tag or Lock Out device without authorisation.
8. Lifting operations
We will plan and make safe all lifting operations
- Never walk or work under a suspended load or in an exclusion zone.
- Only plan and execute lifting operations if we are trained and competent.
- Never exceed the capacity of the lifting equipment.
- Inspect lifting equipment and confirm certification prior to any lifting operations.
- Establish exclusion zones around lifting operations.
9. Safe driving
We will always drive safely according to the conditions and our ability
- Never drive when we are unlawfully under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Never drive when we are fatigued.
- Always use a seat belt.
- Only use mobile phones lawfully.
- Ensure our vehicles have the appropriate safety devices for our worksites.
- Ensure we are appropriately licensed.
10. Chemicals and hazardous substances
We will ensure the safe handling and disposal of all chemicals and hazardous substances
- Manage all relevant substances in keeping with the appropriate Safety Data Sheets.
- Understand the hazards associated with receipt, use, storage, transport and disposal.
- Ensure all storage areas are designated and safe.
- Keep the hazardous substances register accessible and up-to-date.
- Use all appropriate personal protective equipment and procedures when handling chemicals and hazardous substances.
- Contact our supervisors immediately if the substance is unknown or if we are unsure of its treatment.
Download our living safely rules
We’re absolutely committed to our Living Safely Rules.
That’s why we have a process to address situations where our safety behaviours aren’t being followed or any of the rules are broken.
This process includes examining the cause of the breach to guide a fair and just response that is appropriate to the actual (or potential) severity of the incident and the actions of those involved.