Melbourne food and oil interceptors (grease traps) get the standard treatment


Melbourne’s metropolitan water retailers have standardised food and oil interceptors across Melbourne, making the design and installation processes easier for customers.

Non-residential customers, builders, plumbers and hydraulic engineers working across the service regions of City West Water, South East Water and Yarra Valley Water can now all refer to the same food and oil interceptor drawings and sizing criteria.

The standardisation aims to remove uncertainty during design and construction for work carried out within the Melbourne and metropolitan area.

Commercial trade waste customers prepare, handle, store, make and/or serve food. They will have either a Class 1, 2, or 3 food license under the Food Act 1984, or a PrimeSafe licence. They are typically retail food outlets such as restaurants, coffee shops, delicatessens, butchers, take-away outlets, or aged care institutions, child care centres and function centres.

These businesses are required to enter into a Trade Waste Agreement with their local water retailer to legally discharge trade waste into the sewerage system. Typically, a Trade Waste Agreement will specify if a food and oil interceptor needs to be installed, the size of the food and oil interceptor and how often it needs to be cleaned.

The food and oil interceptor drawings and sizing criteria can be found on each water retailer’s website as follows: