Manage trade waste

South East Water is responsible for the management and treatment of waste in the sewer system. It is important that we manage this well for the benefit of the environment and human health. It’s another way we are helping to keep our community healthy and safe.

Trade waste is any wastewater discharged from commercial, industrial, laboratory or trade activities.

You need a trade waste consent before you discharge any trade waste.

This is required by law and is necessary in order to effectively manage the risks associated with the trade waste. It’s essentially a performance contract between the customer and South East Water.

It’s important to manage trade waste well to:

  • protect the health and safety of people working in the system
  • protect sewerage systems
  • protect the treatment works
  • minimise environmental impacts
  • maximise opportunities for reuse of waste water
  • maximise opportunities for the reuse of biosolids

New Food and Oil Interceptor (FOI) Sizing Criteria effective 1 August 2017

The criteria used to determine the size of Food and Oil Interceptors (FOI’s) i.e. grease traps, has been updated. The new sizing criteria brings Yarra Valley Water, City West Water, and South East Water into alignment.

What do you need to do?

If your business discharges trade waste you must have a trade waste agreement or consent. You need to complete a trade waste agreement or consent application.

Applications are also available from the South East Water Customer Support team. Visit us at WatersEdge, 101 Wells Street, Frankston VIC 3199.

For more information phone the Trade Waste team on 9552 3662.

Types of trade waste consents

There are essentially six types of trade waste consents:

  1. Industrial trade waste agreement: issued to all industrial trade waste customers that produce trade waste effluent that is considered a medium to high risk. 
  2. Industrial trade waste consent: provided to industrial trade waste customers that are considered low in risk. 
  3. Commercial trade waste consent: primarily targeted to manage the risks associated with the disposal of greasy food waste into the sewer from commercial food premises such as restaurants, café's, bakeries, take away food outlets, butchers. 
  4. Food waste agreement: designed specifically for customers who dispose food waste to sewer via food disposal units, and potato and vegetable peelers. 
  5. Tankered waste agreement: allows EPA licensed waste transporters to cart and dispose of waste from septic tanks to specified sewage dumping points, at specified times. 
  6. Emergency trade waste agreement: this covers circumstances when a special one - off trade waste discharge agreement may be issued to a customer for a limited period of time.