If you're self-isolating

So we can keep our distance please let us know if you're self-isolating. Include this information in the description field of this form, and make sure to include your phone number so we don't have to knock.

If you would prefer to use our old Report a leak form, click here

Major burst or emergency?

If you’re reporting a major burst or emergency, call our Faults and Emergencies team immediately on 13 28 12 (24 hours a day, seven days a week).

What am I responsible for?

Before you report a leak it's important to identify where the leak is coming from. South East Water is responsible for maintaining and repairing any issues with the body of the water meter, stop tap and pipes from the street to your meter.

The property owner is responsible for maintaining and repairing pipes from the water meter to the customer's house (including any issues with your garden tap).

Is the leak on the home side of the meter?

If you’re the property owner, you’ll need to contact a licensed plumber to fix it for you. South East Water Priority Plumbing is on hand to assist you 24/7. 

1300 760 306

If you’re a tenant, contact your agent or landlord as soon as possible.

Target 155

Let’s make every drop count and reach our usage target of 155 litres of water per person per day.

We're always upgrading

It’s a big job to look after thousands of kilometres of Victorian pipelines. That’s why every day, we’re maintaining and upgrading the pipes beneath your feet.