Chlorine

Chlorination is an essential part of the process for delivering safe quality water. Chlorine has been used effectively around the world for over one hundred years as part of the water treatment process.

Depending on where your property is situated with respect to the chlorine dosing points, you may occasionally notice a chlorine taste or odour in your water. Small amounts of chlorine are added to the water as a disinfectant to destroy any waterborne, disease-causing micro-organisms (such as pathogens and infectious bacteria). The amounts are equivalent to less than half a teacup in an average backyard swimming pool. This ensures that the water remains safe to drink right up until it reaches the tap.

The taste and odour of chlorine can vary with seasonal water demands and the location of the customer's property in relation to the disinfection plant. This can occur with colder water temperatures in winter, which allow the chlorine residual to persist for longer periods, or with high flows in summer, which allow the chlorine to reach the customer sooner. Very low levels of chlorine can also cause noticeable tastes and odours if it reacts with organic matter present in the pipe.

Some customers prefer not to drink water if they can smell chlorine. A way of easily and safely removing chlorine from your water is to fill a jug with water and put it in your fridge (out of direct sunlight). The chlorine will naturally dissipate from the water. After a few hours the chlorine will have mostly disappeared.